The recent governmental decision to increase reservations in government funded institutions to 49.5% is vote-motivated, divisive and discriminatory. It’s also short sighted and retrogressive and will adversely impact the efficiency of this country. To cut a long explanation short, they’re trying to mask their failure to provide an adequate primary and secondary education to the masses. They should, instead, raise their own standards.
As I see it, the government has the following primary responsibilities in a democracy: Education, Safety and Security, Healthcare and Infrastructure. From the looks of it, successive governments have failed us, and are busy squabbling for power among themselves. They spend more on elections than on development. As I said in a response to Shekhar(of Fractured Earth), this seems to be the perfect opportunity for a political party to attempt to garner mass support by opposing the reservations, given that a majority of the much larger general population seems to oppose this move. Yes, dear reader, we see an opportunity in everything. Unfortunately, no political party seems to be willing to take that risk. In my opinion, this is the NCP’s chance.
As of now all the political parties seem the same and lest there�s a �none of the above� option in the ballot paper, I’m likely to abstain from voting because I�m in a majority that isn�t being represented. Here’s what I’d written about democracy earlier, and now it seems that a fractured mob is just as useless as a dumb one.
Even the online space is fractured, and mostly incoherent. I’ve got several mails from Orkut, asking me to ‘Please join this group also’ and also several petitions to sign, many of which express viewpoints that I don’t fully endorse. Here are some of the less intelligent comments I’ve read:
1. Surely reservation is just politician game,it is not charity,but to satishfy its own appetite of vote & power.
2. hi this is 2 bring all the student havin a agony about this so called FATVAA by @$$!#%dr.arjun singh UNDER ONE ROOF and run a movement on ORKUT ur each joinin will be cosidered as support for us will give strength to our movement.
the major problem is even after reservation student who use to get addmission not able complete there studies in 4 years(btech) THAN I WANT TO AKS WILL ARJUN SINGH WILL COMPLETE ON THERE BEHALF I THINK HE HAS ON ANSWER
save india by communicatin about this community and hlep to gather suppot under roof
DO TELL OTHERS TO MAKE A SPEEDY MOMVEMENT
DO WRITE UR VOICE AS EVRY VOICE WILL MAKE YHE MOVMENT STRONGER
PLS COOPERATE WITH US
3. all HRD ministers should be made to stand in a row and should be shooted out
4. This reservation funda is totally uncool. This is just done for the votes and nothing else, but these people donot know that by bringing reservation in here affects the country itself, this all is a gimmick, a way to be the superior most and the government is to be blamed for this.
Reservation of every kind is bad – be it even sex, diability or economical class, not just caste and religion.
5. do u kno that if no. of termite become excess they r riqured to contrl
otherwise they will devastate the house
HELP IN MAKIN THIS MOVEMENT BIGGEST OF ALL TIME SO THAT THESE TERMITE
MUST KNO THAT WHEN WE YOUNG GUN FIRES THEN ITS ALSO DEVASTATIN
COM AND JOIN THE MOVEMENT
6. ALL IIT AND IIM STUDENTS HAVE DECIDED TO BOYCOTT
CLASSES ON 17TH APRIL 2006 MONDAY IN PROTEST AGAINST
50% RESERVATION !!!! IF YOU WANT TO STOP THIS SHIT OF
RESERVATION PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR
CONTACTS……”BOYCOTT 17TH APRIL 2006″
sorry for the forwarding of this message to the
7. STOP PROTESTING LIKE GANDHI LOVING MORONS
8. Form your own country or anything, our country cannot and will not change.
9. here also we need some hitler or stalin who will just obliterate these illiterate politicians of india..
10. problem was not ambedkar or nehru…problem was mahatma..whose watermarking we ca see in indian currency..if the father of the nation was a *******…what can u expect from the child…
11. Time for a terrorist organization for the really smart people. The kind of terrorist who does no real damage to any living being or property or anything with value…
12. When the worker unions can go and sit in front of the Director’s office, why can’t the students?
If still the govt. does not pay heed, boycott the end-sems. And then, stage a procession in front of the parliament. Mobilise all the college across Delhi and you will have enough people. Hasn’t Rang de Basanti taught us something? It is not the time to wait and watch. It is the time to act.
13. (A petition to the President begins with:) Are you aware of the fact that from coming academic session the Govt of India has proposed to introduce a new Quota System for addmissions to Professional courses.
14. We, the so called upper castes living in urban India created this country and the politicians are using the fruits of our hard work and reaping political benefits through reservations. If all of us belonging to the unreserved categories simply quit India, or stop going to these so called elite instituions where reservations are done, India will be doomed and the Institutes will lose all their name and prestige.
We are the creators of a prosperous modern India, these politicians are forgetiing that without the so called upper castes its Bye, Bye… India, No ecomic boom, no anything.
Or shopuld we jsut ask for a seperate region for ourselves? If the Muslim invaders who came so late can ask for their share, why not us original residents? Then the world will see where prosperous India comes from and who are dragging their legs.
Shoot people, post your opinion.
Please note that I don’t necessarily endorse any of the points listed above, and the emphasis is mine. I found the comment about telling others to make ‘speedy movement’ quite amusing. The lack of objective thought, both among the politicans and the student community is saddenning. I’ve only come across one email and one petition that addresses the issues objectively and in a systematic and reasonable manner. Not that I want to see more, of course. During the Mandal commission protests, self immolation made headlines. Today, even suicide doesn’t make a difference, and everyone has been numbed by the apathy of the government.