Over the next week (or less), I’m going to redesign this blog, live. Now, I don’t know coding, but if you’ve ever done any programming (I did some Basic and C++ long ago) – it’s easy to get the logic.
Sandbox is this very basic wordpress theme, and you can change the structure (the number of columns, position of columns). I’m trying to figure out the CSS and the way it has been implemented, and as it was with the old blogs – it’s not easy. I have a design of basic structure that I want, up on my whiteboard (yeah, I got me a whiteboard to scribble and ideate on), and that involves shifting a lot of things around, and adding a few things to the header and footer. It’s not as easy as it would be for a coder, so the design of the site will take some time and this page will get messed up quite often. The other thing is – I don’t use CSS editors…just normal notepad. Wish me luck 🙂
- Top navigation bar (like I had for the first motifmag.net design…then considered unusual, now pretty much standard) – “I also blog at” links. Also starting a moblog, and a fiction blog.
- Left half: Title, with tagline below
- Right half: About/Contact , RSS (comments and posts), Search box
- Dropdown menu for archives
- Recent posts
- Recent comments
- Some selected posts
Things I’m struggling with:
Dividing the header into two halfs, of equal heightThanks Rhymebawd Creating lists without bullets or line breaksThanks Ankit.
- Automatically display the number of posts and the RSS Feed for each category
- Create a moblog and a fiction using categories. Was there for the events section in the old ContentSutra wordpress design…
Designing in PHP (and with Div’s and CSS) isn’t as easy as I thought…still have figure out a lot. I’m looking for a mix of the two – the usability of the first blog, and the minimalism of the second. Also, based on my conversations with Ankit a couple of months ago, I do wish to use the footer a lot more. Like it was in the first two instances, this is turning into a study of design, and balancing minimalism, usability and design.
The experiment with Sandbox hasn’t worked out, since I didn’t know how to develop a skin like Unsleepable. Need to figure that out. The idea is to make basic structural changes in the bare-bones Sandbox template, and make the design changes in the skin.
- Header: Search, RSS links, About/Contact (I think About and Contact need to be in the same page. No point in having two separate pages and links.
- Top nav Bar: Lists only ‘other blogs’. Not a descriptive text. <- need to be thought through.
- Site navigation bar only on Post page (back, page you’re on, next/previous)
- Post: Title, date; content; categories; permalink, comments, email this, social bookmarking (single link)
- Bottom Navigation bar:
- Main page: Back, next/previous, top, archives page
- Post page: Back, next/previous post, top, archives page
- Page list,
- Recent posts
- Selected posts
- Every page: Admin stuff, Search
- Main Page: Flickr photos, Blogroll (only on main page), Links, Credit
Did I forget something?
Note to self: Must go through this post. Big plans, execution looks time consuming..and time is something I don’t have (again). So much for the holidays…